Activating a webOS Device
The Palm/HP activation services have been down a long time, but that doesn't mean your beautiful phone or tablet are dead! With a little effort, you can use the tools HP left behind to activate your device...
Prepare Your Computer
This process works on Mac, Linux and Windows, but requires Java to be installed:
- Install Java (JDK) for Windows: https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-downloads.html
- Install Java for Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204036
- Install Java for Linux: https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Next you will need the Novacomm driver for your computer:
- Windows 32-bit (Tested on Windows 7): Installer MSI
- Windows 64-bit (Tested on Windows 10): Installer MSI
- macOS 32-bit (Tested up to Mojave): Installer PKG
- macOS 64-bit (For Catalina and Later): GitHub Release
- Linux 32-bit (Tested on Ubunutu): DEB Package
- Linux 64-bit (Tested on Ubunutu): DEB Package
Download the Tool
- devicetool For webOS 1.x Devices (Pre, Pixi, Pre Plus)
- devicetool2 For webOS 2.x and 3.x Devices (Pre 2, Pre3, Veer and TouchPad)
- devicetool All-in-One Community created all-in-one, works all of the above, plus TouchPad Go
Prepare Your Device
Reboot your device into recovery mode...
- Plug the USB cable into your computer. Do not connect the other end to your device yet.
- Remove the battery from the device.
- Hold down the device's volume up button.
- Insert the USB cable into the device.
- Re-insert the battery.
- Release the volume up button.
- Hold the Power and Volume Up buttons until the TouchPad restarts
- Keep holding both buttons until you see the USB symbol
Run the Activation Tool
You'll need a command line in your operating system of choice. On a Mac or Ubuntu, this is called Terminal. On Windows, press the Windows key and type "command" and hit enter.
- Using your command line, navigate to the directory where you downloaded the Doctor tool.
- Run the command for the tool you downloaded:
- webOS 1.x:
java -jar devicetool.jar
- webOS 2+:
java -jar devicetool2.jar
java -jar devicetoolAIO.jar
- webOS 1.x:
- Wait while the device is updated and rebooted
Once the device restarts, it will have bypassed activation, and you're ready to begin using it.
Use the built-in settings to join your WiFi -- webOS works with 2.4ghz WiFi networks and all common wireless security schemes, including WPA.
A video showing activation and app installation is available on YouTube...
This documentation attempts to update and simplify information available from older, archived sources. You may find that material to be useful as reference: